This loaf includes veggies, is flavorful, satiating, and nourishing without feeling heavy. It’s versatile, easy to make, and can be paired with sautéed leafy greens, rice, or crumbled like ground beef and used in tortillas.
The red pepper flakes or cayenne and pickled onions stimulate digestion for kapha constitution. Best to remove those spices for pitta constitution. The gravy is particularly suitable for vata constitution.
- 1/2 cup dry green lentils, soaked in water for an hour before cooking.
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1/2 large onion, about 1 cup
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 large carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (pecans, almonds, or walnuts)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 egg OR 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon maple or rice syrup
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- After soaking the lentils, bring lentils and water to a simmer, and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain, rinse under cool water, and set aside.
- Lightly toast the nuts in a pan for about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Using the same pan, heat the ghee and add the spices (salt, pepper, thyme, sage, and cayenne, if using) until the aroma lifts. Set aside.
- Roughly chop the carrots, onion, celery, and garlic. In a food processor, add the chopped vegetables, spiced ghee, tamari sauce, nutritional yeast, parsley, syrup, and lemon juice or vinegar. Pulse a few times or until medium chopped.
- Add the nuts, oats, and pulse. Add the cooled lentils and the egg or flaxseed. Pulse until combined and sticks together but isn’t pulverized.
- Line a bread-loaf pan with parchment paper. Shape the lentil mixture into a loaf in the pan. Brush with ghee. (The loaf can be made ahead of time and baked later.)
- Bake covered with foil for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 25 minutes or until medium firm and lightly browned on top.
- Let the loaf rest 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
Sage Gravy Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable or mushroom broth
- 4 tablespoons ghee
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage.
Heat broth and ghee to a boil. Add flour and sage, whisking until the gravy is thickened and smooth.
Pickled Onion Recipe
Pickling breaks down food as a process to preserve and makes ‘raw’ food more easily digestible.
Prep Time: 10 mintutes
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar or additional white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Pack the onions into a 1-pint mason jar or similar heat-safe vessel. Place the jar in the sink, to catch any splashes of hot vinegar later.
- In a small saucepan, combine the water, both vinegars, maple syrup and salt. Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer over medium heat, then carefully pour the mixture into the jar over the onions.
- Use a butter knife or spoon to press the onions down into the vinegar and pop any air bubbles in the jar. Let the pickled onions cool to room temperature (about 20-30 minutes). They should be sufficiently pickled for serving or kept for later..
- Cover and refrigerate for later. Pickled onions will keep for 2-3 weeks in the refrigerator.
Pickled Onion Recipe from Cookie and Kate ~ https://cookieandkate.com/