The Essence of Practice (Sādhana साधन)
Greenbank, Whidbey Island, WA
9:00-11:00 a.m. Pacific Time
Check Back for 2023 Schedule
- Regardless of whether you have been practicing regularly or not, you are welcome! A solid foundation of yoga experience is recommended.
- Secure your place soon. Class size will be limited. When full, a waiting list will be available.
- You may register for 1-4 classes. Drop-in is not an option.
- Payment is your registration. You will receive a confirmation with the studio address and further details.
It continues to be apparent that the pandemic, post-pandemic crises, and the accompanying distress, have had and continue to have noticeable effects on our bodies. We’re all in the process of re-emerging. We’re each finding our way and navigating different levels of sensitivity and tolerance to being with other bodies.
There is substantial research to support that these effects are driven by the neuromuscular system and can contribute to psychological and physical issues often attributed to structure or the aging process. Hans Selye describes these functional changes as ‘diseases of adaptation’. We can learn to adapt differently!
‘Anxiety is the very currency of exchange in an industrial society.’ ~ Thomas Hanna
These practices will provide a space to inhabit your body with sensitivity and tend to your body within a caring circle. This is the essence of practice (sadhana) – inner alignment – to refine your capacity to return to what is arising and subsiding in the present moment.
We’ll explore in more depth, asanas, breath and awareness practices that when practiced regularly, recover strength, balance, resilience, and return the nervous system to a calm and centered place. We’ll play with variations to acknowledge and respect individual differences, and to enhance your ongoing home practice.
We’ll gather at a home studio in Greenbank. The space overlooks the water and Baby Island. Eagles, herons, hawks often go soaring past. The address and further details will be furnished with payment confirmation.
We will do our best to foster health for ourselves and each other and will support each other’s choice to come to class masked or unmasked. Class size will be limited for ample space, so best to reserve your place early or join a waiting list. Please join me in trusting one another to take care of ourselves, the group, and the stewards of the lovely space in which we will practice. Please stay at home if you have any signs of illness.
The body, not the thinking brain, is where we experience most of our pain, pleasure, and joy, and where we process most of what happens to us. It is also where we do most of our healing, including our emotional and psychological healing. And it is where we experience resilience and a sense of flow.~ Resmaa Menakem from My Grandmother’s Hands
Pay with PayPal
I offer 3-tiered Sliding Scale Payment Options based on your current financial status.
Choose the level that is best for you now.
- Regular: This is the cost that I would charge all students in the absence of a sliding scale. If you choose a level below this tier, you are receiving a discount. This level of payment is for you if you have access to financial security and spend little time worrying about securing necessities.
- Discounted: This level of payment is for those who are able to meet their basic needs but have little-to-no expendable income. Paying at this level may qualify as a sacrifice but it would not create a hardship.
- Supported: This is for those who struggle to meet basic needs such as housing, food, child care, health care, etc. Paying above this level would be a significant hardship. Please contact me if this level is still prohibitive.
Practice Series (3 or 4 Classes)
Sliding Scale Payment Options
Sliding scale is a tool that allows my services to be obtained at multiple price points based on the circumstances of my students and clients. The sliding scale addresses economic justice and represents the idea that financial resources, including income, are not and should not be the only determining factor in whether or not someone can access services/care/etc. I have made a commitment to offering a sliding scale model as a way to contribute to a more equitable world.
For a sliding scale model to work, it relies on truthfulness, respect for complexity, and accountability. I trust you to be honest in your assessment of your financial reality. I do not receive any outside funding to supplement sliding scale discounts. This model is an attempt to balance the fair value of my time and energy and the multiple realities of economic access and privilege that exist within our community. I am open to ongoing communication about our economic experiences and this model.
Please choose the level that is best for you now.
Other Options use the Contact Form to:
- offer an exchange
- use a scholarship
- purchase a recorded session
Cancel up to 48 hours in advance and receive a full refund less an administration fee of $30.
A portion of class proceeds will be contributed to organizations that are centering marginalized voices, at the intersection of spirituality and justice, and committed to creating a beloved community of mutual care.